Three people died and one is permanently blind from methanol poisoning after drinking hand sanitizer in New Mexico, health officials said on Friday.
Three other people are in critical condition. According to a statement from the New Mexico Department of health, the seven people are believed to have drunk hand sanitizer containing methanol.
The cases were reported to New Mexico Poison Control in May, and are related to alcoholism, health officials said. They did not provide additional details on the victims or where the cases happened.
Health officials have warned against use of hand sanitizers containing methanol. Methanol can cause kidney damage, blindness, coma, damage to the nervous system and death.