Who we are
At Ona, we don’t just strive for diversity, we thrive on it. For Ona, diversity has been a spring board for creativity, innovation, and growth. We are committed to giving equal opportunities to employees and applicants regardless of their race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, colour, nationality, age, marital status, or pregnancy status.
We’re looking for developers who want to build foundational data systems that drive change. Our team has worked on projects that support democracy, drive social development, record the social infrastructure of entire countries, tally the winners of national elections, and reduce infant mortality. We build software that solves real problems and you will too.
Since we’re a startup, you’ll have to be a self-starter who is organized and can manage multiple projects at the same time. Since some of our team works remotely, you’ll also need great communication skills and to be empathetic.
The role will be based in Nairobi, Kenya and will report directly to an Engineering Manager.
Key roles and responsibilities
- Lead and build out our frontend products
- Write automated unit and integration tests for frontend code
- Create well documented code and ensure reuse of internal and external libraries
- Implement a process to sign-off on approaches before any front-end work begins
- Stay up to date with front-end engineering technologies and educate project teams on what’s possible, but still feasible and sensible for our needs.
Prototype user interactions, especially for more complicated UI patterns
- Ensure styling (CSS etc) is built consistently based on accepted standards and libraries
- Create, define, and enforce adherence to a Design, UI, and UX style
Act as a cross-project resource
- Work on a prioritized set of front-end engineering projects
- Front-end lead will be resourced across projects during the requirements, technical planning, and/or initial development phases as determined by team leads
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Computer Science or equivalent.
- At least 4 years of frontend engineering experience.
- Ability to write, and an appreciation for the importance of, semantic, well-structured code.
- Experience with CSS preprocessors such as LESS, SASS, and SCSS.
- Experience building production web and mobile web apps.
- Strong aesthetic sensibilities.
How To apply
Please send the following:
- Note describing why you are interested in working for Ona.
- Current resume.
- Portfolio of your work e.g a link link to your GitHub page, projects you’ve completed, or your website.
- (Bonus points) Build something cool using our API, or extend some software we’ve written.